Berry Romaine Cannoli
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves, (smaller and firmer)
- ½ cup dark chocolate 70% and up
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup of creamed coconut
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Heat up a double boiler and melt the chocolate in it. Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat and let it melt. We don’t want to burn the chocolate.
- Place your berries into a sauce pan and on low heat and let simmer along with ½ cup of coconut cream. Stir with a wooden spoon a few times. Once the coconut cream is all melted, remove from the heat.
- Once the chocolate is melted, choose 5 nice shaped romaine leaves and spread some melted chocolate on the back of the leaf all the way down with a spatula. The chocolates mission is to solidify the outside of the leaf to become like a taco to fill with the cream and berries.
- Repeat this operation on all 5 leaves and lay them on a small round object to dry. For example a pin roller or a salt and pepper shaker. Use the fridge if it takes too long to solidify at room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare the coconut cream mix. Use the other half cup of coconut cream and melt it in a small sauce pan, along with the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir a few times and remove from the heat.
- Take your chocolate lettuce taco and spread about 1 tablespoon of coconut cream and fill each canoe with 1 large tablespoon of the berry mix on top of the cream mix.
- Let it sit in the fridge or enjoy right away.